Some of the outcomes of a speeding ticket can include:
• Your license may be restricted
• You may be required to pay high fines and fees to the DMV and/or traffic court
• You may be required to complete a driver improvement or defensive driver course
• Your license may be suspended, revoked or even canceled
• Your insurance company may raise your car insurance rates
It can take years to undo that damage from a single speeding ticket. But if you successfully challenge the charge with the help of a speeding ticket lawyer, you maintain your car insurance rates and avoid accumulating points on your license.
The speeding ticket lawyers at Wilson, Reives & Silverman are prepared to help you fight your charges. Work with us, and get effective legal counsel from lawyers you can trust.
What are the North Carolina speeding laws?
In North Carolina, speeding in excess of 55 mph is a 3-point offense.
Speeding in a school zone in excess of the posted school zone speeding limit is also a 3-point offense.
If you hold a commercial motor vehicle license, both these charges are 4-point offenses.
If you accumulate 7 points on your driver’s license, you may be assigned to a driver improvement clinic, and have to pay a clinic fee of $50. Upon satisfactory completion of the clinic, 3 points are deducted from your driving record.
If you accumulate as many as 12 points within a three-year period, your license may be suspended. Accumulating 8 points within 3 years following the reinstatement of your license can result in a second suspension.
If your driver license is suspended by the point system, it may be taken for:
- 60 days for the first suspension
- 6 months for the second suspension
- 12 months for the third suspension
The DMV can also suspend your license for the following:
- 2 convictions of speeding over 55 mph within a period of 12 months
- 1 conviction of speeding over 55 mph and 1 conviction of reckless driving within a year
- A conviction of willful racing with another motor vehicle, whether it is prearranged or unplanned
- A conviction for speeding over 75 mph, in certain cases
How can hiring a speeding ticket lawyer help your case?
This may not be your first speeding ticket, and you may be wondering if you shouldn’t simply show up on your court date and waste a Prayer for Judgment Continued (PJC). You may think you can have your speeding ticket reduced to “improper equipment.” You may even hope that if you arrive early to court, you’ll find the judge in a good mood. These tactics are not enough to help your case.
Unless you are in traffic court arguing speeding tickets on a daily basis, you don’t have the knowledge that a seasoned speeding ticket lawyer will have regarding prosecutors and judges and the rules concerning your charge.
Call (919) 775-5653 or contact us and set up a consultation to speak with an experienced speeding ticket lawyer about your case.
A speeding ticket lawyer will:
- Represent you in traffic court
- Negotiate with judges and prosecutors to have your charges dropped or reduced
- Help you avoid high fines and penalties
- Keep you from losing your driver’s license or Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) if applicable, or advocate for you to have driving privileges reinstated
Can speeding tickets really be fought and won?
Yes. An experienced speeding ticket lawyer can succeed at having your charges reduced or revoked.
Don’t make the common mistake of mailing in a check and paying a ticket off. You may not realize that is the same thing as pleading guilty—and it will come back to haunt you when it’s time to write another check to your insurance company, or the next time you’re charged with a speeding ticket that bumps up your points yet again.
In the long run, hiring a speeding ticket lawyer will likely cost a whole lot less than an increase in insurance premiums—or finding a way to commute to work with a suspended license.
It’s time to speak with a lawyer
Choosing the right speeding ticket lawyer can make a real difference in the outcome of your case, the time it takes to resolve your case and your overall experience.
The speeding ticket lawyers at Wilson, Reives & Silverman are here to provide you with trusted, effective and experienced legal counsel. We’re ready to fight for you to receive the most favorable outcome in your case, so you can move forward on the road.